Think about this: No company ever bought anything.
Oh sure there are corporate entities that, on paper, are buying products and services. But in reality, every single purchase decision was made by a person.
People don’t buy from companies, they buy from other people. People they like and people that can solve a problem. The sooner we all acknowledge this simple fact, the better all marketing becomes.
I’m declaring 2019 the year of P2P marketing. Person to person. It’s time to get personal. The trend has been in the making for several years and it’s time we all adjust our strategies to develop relationships with our prospects and customers.
Here are six marketing tactics that are aligned with the P2P marketing strategy. If you aren’t using these strategies, you’re missing out.
- Influencers. People introducing others to your brand. This channel has a high level of trust associated with it.
- Social Listening. People are talking about your company all over the internet whether you know it or not. What are they saying? How are you responding? Social listening is an opportunity to develop relationships and mend fences.
- Communication. People want to hear from you, but only in the way they, the customer, initiate. If you customers and prospects prefer email, chatbots or phone calls you need to be available to them in those ways. The younger the customer, the more likely they are to use social channels to reach out with questions and customer service – are you ready? Do you answer your direct messages in a timely fashion?
- Personalization. People don’t want to hear about products or services that don’t interest them. Personalization includes highly segmenting email messages by customer interest or background. It includes demographics and geo-location, even at the brick and mortar store level.
- Interaction. People want to be successful using the product or service that they are thinking about (or already have) purchased. Providing content and interaction that educates the customer and bolsters the buying decision brings the cycle full circle. These customers then become organic influencers who tell others about the brand.
Getting personal is the cornerstone to a business foundation that builds upon itself, gaining steam as it grows.
This article is just an outline to get you started. I’ll be writing more in the coming weeks, expanding on the P2P movement and expanding on each of the points. If this is new to you -welcome to the best way to promote your business. If you are already on board, I welcome your comments and questions.
Wishing you a very happy and successful new year!